God is Spirit, the loving source of all that is. God is the one power, all good, everywhere present, all wisdom. God is divine energy, continually creating, expressing and sustaining all creation. In God, we live and move and have our being. In Unity, some other ways we speak of God are Life, Light, Love, Substance, Principle, Law and Universal Mind.
The Nature of Humankind
Unity teachings are based on universal spiritual principles that run like a thread through the world’s religions. These are laws that seem to govern humankind no matter where we live, how we view the Divine, or even whether we are aware these principles exist. They have been expressed in many ways through thousands of years, but the essence of them is this:
- God is all there is, present everywhere, and absolute good.
- Human beings are created in the image of God and our very essence is divine; therefore, we are inherently good.
- We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- Our lives can be changed and transformed through the power of prayer.
- Knowing these principles is not enough; we must live the truth we know.
- Spirit-Led…We are centered in God. Spirit leads our thoughts and actions as we co-create a world that works for all.
- Generosity…Living in the infinite flow of God’s good, we draw from God’s inexhaustible supply and wisely use our rich resources to serve the world.
- Transformation…We are a dynamic movement on the cutting edge of spiritual evolution. We teach universal spiritual principles that change lives.
- Diversity…We believe that all people are created with sacred worth. We promote greater understanding among people in a spirit of unity.
- Integrity…We act from a place of wholeness and are ethical in all our actions. We keep our word.
- Unity…Loving, collaborative, respectful.
We believe that Jesus expressed his divine potential and sought to show humankind how to express ours as well. We see Jesus as a master teacher of universal truths and as our Way Shower. In Unity, we use the term Christ to mean the divinity in humankind. Jesus is the great example of the Christ in expression.
Unity founders Charles and Myrtle Fillmore studied the Bible as history and allegory and interpreted it as a metaphysical representation of humankind’s evolutionary journey toward spiritual awakening. In addition, Unity recognizes that the Bible is a complex collection of writings compiled over many centuries. We honor the writings as reflecting the understanding and inspiration of the writers at the time they were written. The Bible continues to be a valuable spiritual resource for us.
Prayer and Meditation
Affirmative prayer is the highest form of creative thought. It includes the release of counterproductive, negative thoughts, as well as holding in mind statements of spiritual truth. Through meditation, we experience the presence of God. Prayer and meditation heighten our awareness and thereby transform our lives.